Health Physics Services
The LRMC Health Physics Services department provides health physics, radiation protection and safety support and is part of the Regional Radiation Advisory Medical Team (RAMT). The department also manages the LRMC Army Radiation Authority (ARA) Permit.
We have a well trained and professional staff, ready and capable of handling any and all radiation safety issues and concerns from area monitoring to weapons of mass destruction response.
The Health Physics staff is involved with surveying all radiation producing devices in the hospital, LDENTAC, medical and dental clinics in Baumholder, Kleber, Wiesbaden, Landstuhl, Vicenza, SHAPE, NATO HQ, and Kosovo. We also work hand in hand with Public Health Command to provide mutual support to any of the supported medical, dental or veterinary clinics in their area of responsibility.
We use state of the art radiation monitoring and detection equipment to ensure occupationally exposed individuals and the general public radiation dose is below the federally and host nation mandated limits. From the medical x-rays needed to diagnose an injury or illness to therapeutic administration of radionuclides for the treatment of disease, the Health Physics staff works to ensure radiation exposures are kept to "As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA)" levels.
Our services include:
- Radiation/Laser Safety Program
- Occupational Dosimetry & Bioassay Program
- Radiotherapy patient support
- Radiation surveys and laboratory analysis
- Radioactive waste disposal
- Radioactive material management
- Decontamination support
- Radiation and Laser Safety Program management and audits
- Shielding evaluation and verification
- Ionizing/Non-ionizing radiation safety training
- Radiation and laser safety consultation
- Radiological Advisory Medical Team (RAMT)