Health Services

Birth Registration

***For your situational awareness; when having a baby in Germany, BOTH parents must have the travel passport when completing the post registration process. Take action now to avoid delay of your child’s birth certificate and medical care.***


Birth Registration Process:

We will cover the following three steps during your visit: 
Birth Registration Packet

STEP 1: Pre-Registering for Labor

Completing this paperwork will ensure that when you come in to the hospital to deliver, the Admissions office will have all of your admission paperwork completed and ready for your admission. Please download and complete each form below and bring them with you to your Pre-Birth registration:

STEP 2: Report of Child Born Abroad of American Parent(s) AE 40-400B

This document is the hospital notification of the newborn's birth. This is the form that will register your child in DEERS, TRICARE, Passport, Consular Report of Birth, and Command Sponsorship. Required Documents:

  • Military ID Cards
  • Passports (for both parents)
  • Marriage Certificate (Original Certified copy)
  • Birth Certificate (Original certified copy) 
  • Affidavit for Mother/Affidavit of Parentage- (single parent)
  • Denial of Paternity- Affidavit —(husband is not the father)
  • AE 40-400B (Please have filled out prior to appointment, received in packet)

Step 3: Explain the Registration Process after baby is born.

To apply for your baby's German birth certificate, visit the German Standesamt 'Alte Rentei' located at Kirchenstrasse 41 in Landstuhl. You will need to bring the following:

  • AE 40-400
  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificates
  • Passports
  • Any divorce decrees or naturalization papers
  • €12 and €6 for additional copies (subject to change)

The office has variable hours and are closed on German holidays. Please see the German Standesamt ‘Alte Rentei’ information handout for additional information.

Baby In-processing:

Information on:

Additional Information

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

The Department of State has a new online application system for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. the eCRBA does not require any new information or processes -- applicants enter the same information in eCRBA as in the paper application. This new application method, however, will allow you to enter your data, upload required documents, pay the fees and received expedited processing. Additionally you will be able to check the status of your application online.

**PLEASE NOTE** In order to use eCRBA and skip the interview, you will need to provide your PPT Acceptance Agent's email address in your online application when it asks for Contact Information for Parents.

Introducing e-CRBA

Please use the email addresses and links below for the eCRBA application:

How to Reorder a Lost Consular Report of Birth Abroad


Q. What is the best way to get hold of Birth Registration?
A. Via email: or by calling 0637194647053.

Q. When is the best time to complete Pre-Birth registration?
A. Anytime after 30 weeks, but earlier if preferred.

Q. What documents are required for Pre-Birth registration appointment?
A: Military ID Card(s), BOTH parents' passports, birth certificate original or certified copy, and marriage certificate original or certified. AE 40-400B with section II completed and Full registration form completed.

Q. What is Birth Registration and who is it for?
A. Birth Registration is a part of the AE 40-400 Regulation. It is required to register your child with the US Department of State and the local German Rathaus in the town your child was born. Aside from the requirement, we offer our “moms to be” the service of completing their medical records prior to delivery day. We also gather the required information needed to complete the AE 40-400B.

Q. How do I get the AE 40-400B after my baby is born?
A. There are a few ways to get your AE 40-400B. * During your stay on the Mother/Baby Ward, Birth Registration will visit the ward during business hours (if Pre registration was completed) to deliver a 1st draft AE40-400B for review. * Before or after the Baby’s 1st Well Check Up stop by Birth Registration on Walk-In Days for Post-registration Packet and enroll the child in DEERS (if Pre-registration was completed) * If Pre –registration was NOT completed, please come by with the required documents along with the AE40-400B on one of our walk-in days to complete the Birth Registration process

Q. What does the U.S. Physical Presence requirement mean and to whom does it apply?
A. The US Department of State requires all parents to supply proof of living in the US for at least 5 years and with 2 of those 5 years being after the age of 14. This can be an ERB/ORB/SURF, High School Diploma, College Diploma, Tax Returns. It is part of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application.

Q. If my child is born in Germany is U.S. citizenship automatic?
A. This answer is very subjective. As a general rule, citizenship is passed from Mother to infant. If the mother is not a US citizen, or cannot prove 5 years physical presence in the US, then the citizenship requirement will fall to the Father. If neither can prove the 5 year physical presence rule; citizenship comes into question. It is best to speak with a Passport Agent or an Immigrations Officer at the Frankfurt US Consulate.

Q. Why does my child need a German birth certificate and where do I apply for one?
A. The AE 40-400 Regulation requires all service members receive a German Birth Certificate for a child born in Europe The application is taken at the German Rathaus in which the child was born (i.e. LRMC= Landstuhl Rathaus) The Landstuhl Rathaus can be reached at 0637183422 or 06371 83123. They are open Monday-Wednesday: 8:30-11:30 a.m., Thursday 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Friday: 8:30-1130 a.m.

Contact Us


Bldg. 3766, Room 15B105 (Patient Administration)


Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. & 1-3:30 p.m.

(Pre-Birth Registration requires an appointment via appointment line or email below) 

For all other inquiries, please email

Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here